All Posts Tagged Tag: ‘snow’

Friday – not going to happen for us?

I have just been out for a look around the lane. It is a strange situation – I can see tarmac in front of my car – and there is hardly any snow at that corner of the house, but down the driveway there is at least six inches. The lane to the main road is 6+ inches deep. I gave up after 50 metres, as I would probably have had a heart attack before being able to clear that much snow – no point to check much further (around the steepest part of the lane, on a tight corner).

I got new tyres on the car on Monday, but it is only a FWD car, so I do not think that I will be able to make it in tomorrow.

I will have a go in the morning, (I have a healthy and fit 16 year old lad stuck here!) but given the extension of the red status warning for Cavan and Monaghan, I doubt that I will make it.?

Serious apologies for anyone needing to collect spectacles, and the 10.00am appointment – a young 8 year old who was off school anyway – many local schools were going to be having a training day tomorrow.

Who knows! Maybe the wind will blow the snow away, like at the house, but I doubt it.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but at this stage I do reckon that the week is a complete write off?

Perhaps I should post a note if I AM there on Saturday?

If either of the Driving Sight Test appointments did manage to arrive Thursday evening, I am sorry we were not there – but it was a Status Red!

Excuses excuses?

Apologies – no way I could make it.


Snow day – Thursday

Folks, we gave no idea what the weather is going to bring in the next few days. But Thursday seems to be look like it might be a difficult day. We will definitely be open today, but not so sure about tomorrow. Rarely does snow remain for long here, but with temperatures the way they are, it isn’t going to melt quickly!

I wrote this before setting off for work, and today I barely made it to the main Cavan – Bailieborough road. For tomorrow, yes, I could park on the main road and walk in the lane to the house, but given that all that remains booked and un-cancelled are two Driving Sight Tests, I do not think that the risk of damage to the car, or to me – a broken limb?? is worth the risk to stay on until 8.30 pm, when the weather is expected to be at its worst.

If anyone knows of someone who has a driving sight test booked with us tomorrow, would you please let them know? We should have taken contact details, but we omitted to do that – I think they were booked before we had heard of the “Beast from the East”, or Storm Emma.

B. Conlon and S. Rooney – If you see this, we need to reschedule!

I don’t like mentioning names, but I guess that they could deny if it was them, should they wish to? If you know a B or an S who might be looking to have a driving sight test with us, would you share this post, or let them know to look at it?

At this point, I don’t even know if we will be here on Friday – as an employer, I made the decision to tell Sandra not to attempt to travel tomorrow. She reckoned that (as she lives near me) I could give her a lift – I am happy to drive in snow and in previous snowy weather I have picked her up, but this time, I don’t want to take the chance – I don’t mind / quite like  snow and am happy to accept that I might mess up, which is fine for me, but not with someone else in the car… It is different if I know the snow will likely be gone by home time, but this time, it could be very bad going home?

It is hard to know what to do! Safety first has to be the way to go – we don’t get weather like this very often after all.

I will try to be here on Friday and I will give Thursday a go myself, but I think I may not make it in?

Please let any B or S you know about this post, thanks,





I might be late to work tomorrow?

It is looking like it may be a slight “snow day” tomorrow?

Vicky and I were down in Beaumont hospital today and the roads were fairly white at the end of the dual carriageway to Virginia. That was at 6.00pm, but it has snowed a fair bit more in Killinkere? Traffic from the N3 to Bailieborough is very slow at the moment, but it is “early days”….

Just an FYI – If you intend to call to us tomorrow, please don’t call in at 10.00 am. It may, or may not cause me to be later than normal. If the snow is that bad – if I cannot get out of our lane, I’ll update in the morning. If that is the case I will also let you know when I do get there!

I’m on my own on Wednesdays, but as Sandra lives close by, on a bad day that is of little relevance to getting to work – if I can’t get there, neither will she.

Just in case……?

The forecast doesn’t seem too bad, but forecasting is predicting the future, which is difficult.

I will update if there are any problems – need some winter tyres!

I’ll update if there are issues….

Local eyecare for all the family